Fourteen defining characteristics of fascism
- Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
- Disregard for Human Rights
- Identification of Enemies as a Unifying Cause
- Supremacy of the Military
- Widespread Sexism
- Controlled Mass Media
- Obsession with National Security
- Religion and Government are Intertwined
- Corporate Power is Protected
- Labor Power is Suppressed
- Disrespect for Intellectuals and the Arts
- Obsession with Crime and Punishment
- Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
- Fraudulent Elections
The USA doesn’t actually have fraudulent elections but at the very least the electoral system has been deeply called into question. Other than this, we are pretty much ticking all the boxes at least in an early way. Read the descriptions in the article; it reads like a snapshot of USA white mainstream culture.
Falling so deeply into despondency that we become paralyzed is not an option. As many others have commented, grassroots movements are key. Also, at the ballot box, we need to vote in some actual progressives. Fellow Boomers, you need to stop idealizing the Democrats as if they are ever really going to fix anything. They’re too deeply invested in the $tatus quo to do anything beyond tinkering.
Also, we are accountable to future generations.
My generation — the USA Baby Boomers demographic — are the most powerful generation in history, in terms of spending-power and other influence. (I’m talking about my fellow white people in this category. Black people, indigenous people, and other people of color of this generation, as of all generations, are still marginalized.) We need to use every bit of our spending-power and influence we can muster for the good now.