This weekend I am organizing a permaculture convergence. It’s an online event, free and open to all. Details below. Even if you miss it in realtime, the Facebook Live’s will persist as recordings you can watch anytime. Visit Permaculture Daytona on Facebook.
Along with the official theme “Making Peace with Nature,” this Convergence has an unofficial secondary theme, “Organizing a Permaculture Convergence Online.”
Both themes are very much about minimizing the human footprint, maximizing our HANDprint, and designing for abundance.
Daytona Beach Area Permaculture Convergence, Dec 11-13, 2020
Dear Fellow Earth Guardians!
You are most enthusiastically invited to the first-ever DAYTONA BEACH AREA PERMACULTURE CONVERGENCE. Not only is it our first-ever VIRTUAL permaculture convergence; it’s our first-ever convergence, period!!
The kickoff is TONIGHT (Friday 12/11/2020); we’ll meet at 7 for a “fireside chat.”
The theme for our inaugural Convergence is “Making Peace with Nature: Designing for Abundance.” This theme was inspired by the three ethics of permaculture design:
1) Care of the earth;
2) Care of people and all other species; and
3) Limit consumption; share/return surplus.
Our theme also dovetails with the recent “State of the Planet” address by UN Secretary-General António Guterres, emphasizing the extreme urgency of making peace with nature, if we humans as a species are to have a future on this planet.
The Daytona Beach Area Permaculture Convergence runs from tonight (Friday Dec 11) through Sunday Dec 13. We are offering two types of activities:
1) Presentations by Facebook Live (watch/listen via the Permaculture Daytona page on Facebook); and
2) Zoom chats.
For full schedule scroll to bottom of this post. All these events are FREE and open to all. No prior knowledge of permaculture design principles is required (though it helps); all you need is an interest in learning and exploring.
We are greatly looking forward to meeting you, hearing your questions/updates about permaculture; or just come say hi and sit by the virtual “fire”! (BYO beverage, snack, dinner, whatever you like.)
Can’t make this evening? No problem! There’ll be a Zoom coffee/tea/breakfast from 7am to 7:30am each morning; lunch from noon to 12:30 each day; and evening chat from 7 to 7:30 each evening. Zoom coordinates are the same for all.
See Zoom details below.
Jenny Nazak (she/her) is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Daytona Beach Area Permaculture Convergence: Fireside Chat
Time: Dec 11, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 282 072 7178
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
- Friday evening 7:00pm-7:30: Fireside chat (Zoom)
- Saturday morning 7:00am-7:30: Coffee chat (Zoom)
Saturday Morning Presentations (Facebook Live; via Permaculture Daytona page)
- Sat 8:15am: Facebook Live from Daytona Beach Farmers Market (Jenny)
- Sat 10am Victory Gardens (Angelita)
- Sat 11am permaculture intro talk (Jenny)
- Sat noon-12:30 lunch chat (Zoom)
- Sat 1pm Kids in family business (Angelita)
- Sat aft Facebook Lives:
• anti-racism resources
• hardcore water conservation
• hardcore thrift
• Sustainable Kitchen
• Zone Zero Zero (the inner landscape)
• financial sustainability
• gardening for people who kill plants, etc. (Jenny and others)
- Saturday evening 7:00pm-7:30: Fireside chat (Zoom)
- Sunday morning 7:00am-7:30: Coffee chat (Zoom)
- Sunday morning Facebook Lives:
• intentional community
• Unpacking the Lure of “Off-Grid”
• Meta-talk — Organizing a Permaculture Convergence
• Resource Roundup (Jenny and others)
- Sunday noon-12:30 lunch chat (Zoom)
- Sunday afternoon Facebook Lives:
• You Are Not Alone: Daytona Beach Area Sustainability Resources
• Rising Above “Survival Mode”: Use Permaculture Principles To Lower Your Overhead
• Do I Need To Take a Course? (To PDC or Not To PDC?)